It is not often that I find it important to write any warnings, but I started to use the program PureSync (version 2.8.1) Â from Jumping Bytes Software. At first it seemed as a really good idea. The free version could react on file changed and push a new copy to a “sync dir” and it even could delay deletions for a while to be able to access a file which should not have been deleted for a while.
But I guess when things are too good to be true then that is exactly what they are – too good to be true. I found that files wereÂ corruptedÂ on copy. At first I thought I was wrong – the date and file size was all right, but the files could not be read. This happened on large files and Â by far not for all files.
I contacted Jumping Bytes and they are not understanding why it can happen as they use a standard file copy API in Windows. Now IÂ trulyÂ believeÂ them and can feel theirÂ frustration they must feel, but lots of my files were corrupted.Â TotalCommander (good old friend) helped me fix this by using binary compare – I almost could have copied them all again.
Before contacting Jumping Bytes I did a test to verify the size of the problem and here is what I wrote them:
I copied the same 61 files to the local disk (c:\temp\) and this time
I get 11 errors (Explore and Binary compare agree). On local disk I
then did a “Synchronize Selected files” to Folder 2 of the 11 failing
and this time the binary compare gives me 5 failing. This time I do
the same with the 5 and I get 2 failing. Next time 1 🙁
Today it is 3 weeks since I contacted Jumping Bytes and there is no update on the issue. I’ve deinstalled PureSync and I guess I’ll be a bit more careful about what I use next time.